electrodes can touch the quartz?
Notice in the original document it states that there are sulfur and mercury vapors. The only way that is possible is if the temperature is higher than both the sulfur boiling point and the cinnabar boiling point. Cinnabar does not have a boiling point, but it decomposes at 1076F, which is above the boiling point of its constituents sulfur and mercury. So once the interior hits that temperature, the cinnabar will decompose into sulfur and mercury and both will instantly boil and circulate around inside. So the temperature of the heating element you are using needs to be at least 1076F. Copper melts at 1948F. Chances are, the recipe doesn't involve molten copper electrodes, so you're left with a nice core temperature range of possibilities from 1076F to 1948F. Either way, you'll be as mad as a hatter when you're done and the EPA will have a brand new superfund site.RogerC says electricity is not important but heat. If it is true then I have tested and cut a 6 inch nichrome wire from its 2000 watts specs, I can adjust the heat by a series of several resistors. But what is the required heat is it below the melting point of sulfur? Nichrome don't react with melted sulfur and may used several times, but since Pb lead is needed here to transmute then I have to discard this option.
lol I dunno.I believe 3amp is a dud how can we attain heat of 1076F with it?
It's not 180 amps... lead acid batteries cannot push 180 amps for half an hour. It's a joule heater, therefore its temperature is dependent on the current flowing through it. Current is dependent on the voltage of your power supply. I=V/R. 3 amps limits the temperature.So the lead electrodes is expendable because it melts at 327.46 °C. And if the heat you suggest at 1076F I guess 3amperes is absolutely wrong. A good guy emailed me when I report a failed 3amp shorted, he said it must be 180amp. and the ampere meter in the market I used is calibrated in ampere-hr. But if we used four car batteries, how can we draw 180 amperes?